Saturday, September 19, 2009

Khajuraho

Last night I went to the Kiwi birthday party, which just turned out to be a guy from New Zealand and a bunch of Indians drinking on a roof (I don't know what I expected). Indian beer is terrible. That's pretty much all I can take from that. Then this morning I went to breakfast with Raj and we had chai and some potato filled chapati (bread). It was pretty good.

After my breakfast I went to see the famous temples of Khajuraho. There are a cluster of them you have to pay to see right next to town (like the ones in the pictures in this post) and then some farther away, as much as 5km in any direction, which are free. I followed the guide book's advise and rented a bicycle for $1.
It turned out to be great advise. I cruised around the town and saw all the temples this morning, without have to hoof it all over the place. The temples are all in this town of about 17,000 people, which used to be the capital of a kingdom in the jungle about 1,000 years ago.
Basically no one is completely sure why they made them erotic, but they did (as you can tell from the pictures. If you want to skip the details just don't click on them). The current theory is that they tell the story of a wedding of gods, but no one is really that sure. They're cool temples and there are lots of them, so it was an action packed morning. Then I went across the street and ate lunch basically in a tree house. It's part of a restaurant overlooking the main set of temples so it was a good way to top off my temple filled morning.
I'm not sure what I'll do this afternoon but there's talk of a waterfall, although it's apparently pretty far away. Tomorrow back to Jhansi, then a night train to Varanasi, my last city in Northern India. So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment