Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A taste of the Taj

Tonight I went just before sunset down to the Taj Mahal. The whole thing is behind a wall, but I followed the guide book's advise and went down sort of behind it to a river. From there you can get a decent look at the back of it without paying the steep admission price. I got there just a few minutes before sunset and I have to say the view was pretty spectacular.

It was built as a monument to the emperor's favorite wife. She had 14 of his children, and when she died he built her the Taj Mahal as her tomb. It took 21 years to build, and it's built entirely out of marble (he was later buried next to her; the whole building is symmetrical except for his tomb since hers is placed exactly in the middle of the building.


Well like I said I'll be visiting and actually going inside tomorrow morning as sunrise. I'm excited (and if you're lucky you might get some more Taj Mahal fun facts!).

No comments:

Post a Comment