Monday, September 21, 2009

Off to Varanasi

Last night I ate at a local restaurant (as recommended by the guide book, of couse) and ended up spending about three hours at the restaurant talking to the waitress and the owner. I showed them pictures of my trip (they had only been to a couple of the places) and then they ended up driving me to Jhansi (about forty minutes away) to catch the train (they charged me, but only about half of the going rate for a taxi that far).

The train was fine, I was tired from carrying all my stuff around the jungle all day so I actually got a solid night of sleep on the 13 hour train ride. I haven't had the chance to explore the city much yet, but I can say I had a tasty lunch (after a long walk and then unnecassarily long cycle rickshaw ride to get there from a guy that spoke virtually no English) and it's even hotter and more humid here.

I have tonight and tomorrow here, then two days of buses to get to Pokhara, Nepal. I'm looking forward to Nepal, but two days of 12 hour bus rides does not sound pleasant.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff John. I keep expecting one of these stories of helpful locals to end up something like:

    And they turned me into a slave and I'm posting this from the mines of Moria.

    Glad everyone has turned out so well so far!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, Mark, David, Ed & I all had curry and tiki masala in your honor yesterday up at Golden Gate Park. Spicy!!

    We will think cool, rainy Seattle thoughts while you travel in the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and after dinner we went to get ice cream -- I got the peanut butter curry flavor. How have the desserts been over there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo ooo, have you ever had that herb/seed mixture after a meal?

    ReplyDelete