Thursday, September 17, 2009

Taj Mahal

I woke up this morning at about 5:30am, and a single thought came to my mind; "I have pink eye". I went into the bathroom and examined my swollen right eyelid, coming to the conclusion that I don't know if I have pink eye, but my eye lid is definitely not quite right. Well this took some time, so I was a little late walking to the gate of the Taj Mahal for opening at 6. I waited in the security line and got in by 6:15 or so.

Basically the Taj Mahal is famous for a reason. It's an amazing building. Maybe my favorite building ever. Everything is so perfect, so symmetrical, so pristine. Well everything except for that added on tomb of the emperor himself, which mucks up the whole inside. It's a little bigger than hers and decidedly not in the middle, clearly over some designs on the tile. He really shouldn't be there. But besides that (and a little wear and tear), it's perfect. The light reflects off the marble differently throughout the day (supposedly to imply the presence of Allah, since he cannot be pictured), which makes it kind of like a living thing. Very cool.

I looked at pretty much from every possible angle, including plenty you never see in pictures, but that are impressive in their own right. Then I sat down on a bench here and there and just kind of stared at it. There were some green parrots to listen to, and the whole thing was quite a sight.
After the Taj I went back, took a nap, then headed out to Agra Fort as well as a nearby bazaar and a restaurant recommended by the guide book. The restaurant was great, a little shop apparently on its fifth generation of owners, serving a thali (a whole meal) starting at about 40 cents (all you can eat). I opted for the fancy one with rice and stuff (the lesser meal comes with two curries and bread), then got a dessert afterward, all for about 60 cents. Good stuff, then handshakes from father and son on the way out.


I negotiated my way through the bazaar after lunch, and was met with very little hassle. It is known as a place for locals so they didn't try to get the tourist with their usual ferocity. I rather enjoyed it.
Then I went to Agra fort. It was okay, nothing special after seeing so many forts. I guess the highlight was some gold roofed buildings, but the gold was so tarnished it wasn't much of a highlight. I guess they can't all be winners.
Tomorrow on to Jhansi to transfer to a bus to Khajuraho, famous for its temples adorned with erotic carvings. I won't forget pictures, don't worry.
Plus, news on my possible case of pink eye!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know about Khajuraho so I did a Google search on Khajuraho, of course. Definitely interesting...you don't see "art" like that in San Carlos, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible Taj pic! maybe we'll have to visit too.

    About the eye- looks familiar. Got any cortisone? put it on the eyelid, not the eyeball.

    keep up the great writing, we love it.

    ReplyDelete