Friday, September 11, 2009

Sometimes it bothers me to be counted among all the other tourists here. I went to Jagdish Temple today, a Hindu temple to Lord Jagganath, an aspect of Vishnu. It's a popular tourist site here, and with good reason. It's ornately carved, located in the center of town, and even had a service going on with the locals singing and clapping along.

The reason I hate being among the tourists is that there is a rule that you may never take pictures inside a Hindu temple, and a sign right outside the temple reinforces this. Yet when I went in there were a couple of tourists, discretely snapping away. So basically they came from someplace far away to experience this new, different place, but they don't respect it enough to follow a basic rule. They consider that photo more important. It's such a slap in the face, and I with they would toss them down the stairs in the front (pictured to the left) as an example. Well that's all I have to say about that.

I also went today to the City Palace, actually eleven different palaces built at different times, but all right next to each other in a single complex. It was mildly interesting, but the doors in there were insanely small so I spent the majority of the time just trying not to hit my head. It felt like I was climbing through a McDonald's play structure, like it was built for children but I was in there anyways. From there I got a good picture of the Lake Palace. As you can see to the right it really does look like it's just floating there. I considered going out for dinner there, except it's $75 per person! What!?

Today for lunch I splurged (well not compared to Lake Palace) on a fancy Italian place for some pasta with pesto sauce. Wow. After all Indian food, a good Italian meal was amazing (although it cost me upwards of $3! Sacrilege, I know).

I took a walk around after that, rather accidentally, and ended up near the hotel, next to a smaller lake (pictured at the right). And due to popular demand, I will also say my digestive system is in fine working order, so thanks for asking.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying this part of the journey more than the beginning. I like the feel of trees and greenery. Is it easier to breathe? The City Palace looked quite intriguing to me. Even though it's 11 different palaces, the architecture looks similar, in the picture, at least. How much time encompasses the building of all 11 palaces?

    Enjoying your commentary.

    ReplyDelete