Thursday, November 19, 2009

Aurangabad Day 2 - Ajanta

Yesterday I went over to the Ajanta Caves, over 100km from Aurangabad. Unlike the Ellora Cave tour, which included several other destinations, the Ajanta tour involves driving there, seeing the caves for three hours, eating and driving back. The caves are all Buddhist, and are known for their paintings, as well as the setting. They are set in a crescent shaped ravine, carved into the sheer face of one side, more than 30 in all.

The Ajanta Caves are impressive without even going in. I could spend a couple of hours just wandering around the ravine, admiring the waterfall nearby and the sights in general, but add in ancient paintings, whose various degrees of decay only seem to add to that ancient feeling. The caves themselves are not as impressive as Ellora, but they're still pretty amazing. Three hours there was not optimal, I could have spent a couple more, but it was better than the two hours at Ellora the day before, which was about a third of what I wanted. The timing isn't ideal, but I do need to get to Delhi.
The timing was ideal, however, in that I showed up for World Heritage Week, and got in for free at the Ajanta Caves. That's right, they could have charged tourists the standard 250 rupees (about $5), but they didn't. I couldn't believe it, but I was appreciative.
I should also mention a super random and weird thing they have at the caves. There is a fairly large hill you have to walk up to get to the level of the caves from where the buses drop you off and they have services to help. You can hire a porter (100 rupees, $2), to carry your stuff to the top. The other option, for 400 rupees ($8), is they will carry you in a chair to the top, like an ancient king. I saw a couple of people do this; I'm not sure if they had trouble walking or if they were just rich, but it was crazy. I couldn't believe my eyes at first.


Well now I'm off to catch my train to Delhi. It's about 22 hours, so that'll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment