Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cyclones: Lame

Cyclone Phylan came to the coast of Goa yesterday, and I wouldn't have even known it was a natural disaster if I hadn't happened across the news. It was basically just windy and raining, and it wasn't even that windy or raining that hard. Today it's sunny and beautiful, and last night it even cleared up and I saw my first Goan sunset. It was amazing.

Yesterday afternoon I went to get a new book (#6 for the trip), then went for a haircut. I'm not sure if anyone noticed since I'm usually wearing a hat in the pictures and the beard tends to overshadow the hair, but it was getting pretty long. So I got a haircut for $1, including shaving around the edges with a straight razor and a little head massage after the fact. It was quite nice. After that I walked out to the beach to see this:
Not a bad little surprise.

By the way in case anyone is at all interested (probably not), these are the super random books I've read (and in the case of the last one, are reading currently). They've been purchased at train stations, roadside stalls, bookstores, and from a table by the side of the road, so my choices have been somewhat limited. Anyway, in chronological order of when I read them:

The Godfather, by Mario Puzo
The Stand, by Stephen King
The Witches of Eastwick, by John Updike (LAME!)
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
Tender is the Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathon Swift

So yeah it looks like the cyclone is over, swimming is allowed (and recommended, if you ask me), and all is right with the world.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome beauty!

    Let's see, catching up on some reading, a view of water and picturesque skies, a head massage after the cut.....peace.

    ReplyDelete