Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A little rafting

Shalom!

Rafting is a good time. I just got back from 3 days of rafting the Kali Gandaki river and it was great. The rapids are big (class 4), but the boats are big and the guides are good. The boats hold as many as 10 people, although for some stretches we had only 5 (along with everyone's stuff). Of the people I talked to only one had ever been rafting before (they don't really have it in Israel and nearly everyone except me was Israeli), so I was a relative expert.

Well I don't have much time to write as I need to book the safari trip in Royal Chitwan National Park tonight, but I'll get a few little tidbits in, as randomly as possible:

  • Israelis don't eat potatoes for breakfast, and if they do they complain that they're too full afterward
  • A class 4 rapid in a huge boat led by a guide is less scary than a class 3 rapid in a two person boat captained by yours truly
  • Spaghetti sauce should not have ginger as a main ingredient
  • Hebrew is a difficult language to learn in three days
  • Himalayan runoff is very cold, so swimming is best done a couple minutes at a time
  • Trying to flip a large raft is more difficult than you might think
  • Israelis are the one nationality of foreigner I've met that isn't so crazy about Barack Obama or his Nobel Peace Prize (they even go so far as to prefer our last president)
Well there's plenty more, but I'm out of time here, so I'll try to get some pictures and an actual description up when I get to Kathmandu (after my 3 day safari). There may be Internet access at the park as well, I'm not sure. Either way, I survived rafting (rather easily) and now I'm off for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment