Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Puri


Today I spent the day entirely in Puri, and basically without sickness. It was a good day for that reason if nothing else.

The plan was relax and go to the Lord Jagganath temple. Of course had I read the guide book more carefully I would have recognized that non-Hindus are not allowed in the temple. So I rented a bike (with the hardest seat every created - I'm convinced it's made of forged steel and industrial diamonds) and rode down the road along the beach, eventually turning and heading toward the temple. I took the long, long way, but it was an okay ride and I figured I would get to see a cool temple at the end. Well, not really. I saw a wall mostly. I pretty much felt like an idiot as I walked up the stairs and was turned away. I hopped back on my wheeled torture device and was on my way.

A delicious lunch of Palak Paneer cheered me up a little bit, then a little rest and off to the beach. I took a swim in the Bay of Bengal (yesterday I just waded in a little bit), which was fantastic, then found a thatched wall-less hut and laid underneath it. Of course just as I was falling asleep a couple guys woke me up to take pictures with me. Oh well.

Tomorrow I head off to a coastal city whose name I can't hope to spell, let along pronounce.

NOTE: Pictures added later

No comments:

Post a Comment