Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Trekking - Day 3

Today a treat: pizza for breakfast. It wasn't half bad, either. We hit the road at 8:30, with more stairs down and up, then repeat. My left foot is still sore from hitting a rock at the bottom of the lake in Pokhara, but it's not too bad so I just continue on. My hiking shoes are fantastic so that has really been my only pain besides aching muscles.




I've been carrying my own bag this whole time; no porters or guides for us. It's very satisfying to go up and down these mountains seeing people have their stuff carried for them, then to know you're doing it all on your own. My load is lighter than most, but it gets to feeling pretty heavy at the end of a hard day of climbing stairs.


On the way out of town we found some buffalo in our way (not exactly uncommon), so I fed one some bamboo for a photo op. They're very used to people, although you would think I would have learned my lesson with that whole bull incident in Jaipur.




We got to Bamboo (a village) for lunch at 2, then on to Dovan, where we slept, at about 4. This area is full of bamboo forests, as you can see from the picture it's pretty cool. There are some sort of insects that make all kinds of buzzing noises and waterfalls along with the river to add some sound to the pictures.


We're up to about 2600 meters elevation now (8,530 feet), so tomorrow should be when we really start to feel the altitude when we're walking. The altitude also means that it's getting cold at night now. I brought only a light fleece, my super thin rain jacket, 2 long sleeve and 1 cut off t-shirts, and a pair of convertible pants (and my new hat!), so cold isn't great for me. I could see my breath by the early evening so I wasn't exactly warm.


Tonight I learned a new card game called 5 cards. It's a Nepalese game (and of course has a Nepalese name which I couldn't understand). I played with some Spaniards and their guides and porters. It's like a fast version of gin rummy, so I'll be teaching it to anyone that wants to learn when I get back.
Price Check: Water Rs 70/Liter, Dal Bhaat Rs 330

No comments:

Post a Comment