Friday, October 9, 2009

Sarangkot

Yesterday I went with my Brazilian and German friends to visit the Tibetan village nearby, called Tashi Ling. There we met Bobby, a guide I became friends with on the trek. Both of his parents are Tibetan, but they fled to Nepal, where Bobby was born and has lived his entire life.

He showed us around the village, which was actually very nice. Various charities have taken up the cause, so there were nice schools and community centers. It was very peaceful, quiet, and the people we did see were very friendly.

We visited the shop where they make Tibetan rugs, which was incredible because of the pace the workers set. Their hands are moving about as fast as is humanly possible, but for hours at a time, like a machine. From there we went to Bobby's house. He lives with his family in a humble place that felt like home from the moment I ducked through the door. His sister and father were there, and they greeted us with some juice. His father is a healer, and spent most of the time speaking to my German friend about Buddhism and healing (translated by his sister). We spoke to Bobby about his charity work as well as the Tibetan community here. It was interesting stuff.

They served us a light lunch of rice and vegetable curry and we went on our way. Bobby came with us to meet a mutual friend (also on the trek) in Pokhara. We stopped off first for momos (which I originally thought were Nepali but are actually Tibetan) at Bobby's favorite restaurant, called Yak Restaurant. There, I ate meat (for just the second time on my travels). The only momos (dumplings) they make are buff (buffalo), so that's what I had. They were okay, really a lot like a beef potsticker.


After that it was back to town. Once in town we met with Paul (the mutual friend), so Paul and Bobby could catch their flight to Kathmandu. Someone realized that we had five people all from different continents (missing only Africa, although that is admittedly the most difficult to find around here), which I though was pretty cool.

Today it hasn't rained at all, which marks the first time that has occurred where I've been since I was at the top of trek. To celebrate I hiked up to Sarangkot, basically a little town on the top of the hill overlooking Phewa Tal (the lake), Pokhara, and on clear days the mountains. I got a peak of the mountains, but not all of them. It was about 700 meters of climb in two hours, so it was fairly intense.

I should also mention my new favorite restaurant here, the Asian Tea House. It's this little hole in the wall place down a small alley from the main tourist strip. I've been going every day at least once (more often twice). Just today I ate breakfast (eggs, potatoes, tea, toast, and a delicious banana pancake for $1.50. He started making it before I even ordered. I'm a regular at this place more than anywhere in the world and it's 12226 km - 7597 miles - away from home) and lunch (a huge plate of momos, some potato and cheese, some vegetable for $1.30) there. I may just head over there now for some dinner. The picture of it is nearly the entire place, there is a table that seats about 3 just out of view, but besides that the entire restaurant is just there. I've met so many people there because it's so small (I even met a guy that grew up in Belmont. Small world).
Tomorrow: the bat cave!

1 comment: